Low-code app development
What is low-code application development?
Low-code application development describes creating application software using visual tools and model-driven processes – instead of traditional code-based programming. It reduces the amount of hard coding needed, enabling democratized access to development and an accelerated delivery of apps. A low-code platform can range from a simplistic, free software you can use online to a sophisticated, enterprise-grade application development engine that serves the most complex and highly governed processes.
How low-code solutions benefit both business and IT
- Enable users who are fluent in evolving business needs to get involved in development – with no coding knowledge needed
- Allow users to show rather than tell developers what they need, dramatically reducing revisions
- Actively design and update apps as needed, without adding burden to IT or landing at the end of a backlog
- Enable these expert coders to offload more routine development tasks to free up backlog
- Free up time so developers can respond quicker to higher value, urgent requests – so they can focus more on strategic or complex tasks
- Provide easier, more open communication and collaboration with business users
Why use low code for app development?
It’s never been more important for businesses to demonstrate constant agility and innovation to stay competitive in today’s market. It’s essential to use the benefits of a low-code platform so you can efficiently build or change applications – all to fill or automate workflows at the pace demanded.
Build more apps, faster
- Democratize access to app development with visual tools and a lower barrier to entry
- Assign and prioritize development work more efficiently
- Respond quickly with continuous delivery
Work smarter, together
- Create intelligent workflows to optimize getting work done
- Break down silos between groups to increase productivity
- Enable continuous collaboration between business and IT
Scale across the organization
- Deploy apps across channels like web, mobile, and chat
- Build and grow a diverse team of developers at all skill levels
- Respond quickly to changing business needs
How does low-code development work?
Low-code software breaks down barriers between business and IT so that everyone is speaking the same language. Capabilities like drag-and-drop objects, process flows, and visual tools allow anyone to build and change applications faster – regardless of technical ability. Low code makes it possible for organizations to quickly deliver new processes and app functionalities to keep up with, or disrupt, their markets.
How organizations are using low-code development
See how businesses are using low-code development to solve a variety of challenges
Siemens used low code to reduce manual processing and complexity, giving them a competitive advantage.
A unified low-code development experience empowered Air Force Research Lab to make faster, more informed decisions.
Low code digitally transformed Optum’s manual processes into robust, clinician-centric solutions.
What’s the difference between low code and no code?
- Used by IT, professional developers, citizen developers, fusion teams and business users
- Possesses robust development capabilities
- Accelerates software application development and delivery
- Promotes continuous collaboration between IT and business
- Has below average support for those with zero coding experience
- Only used by business users without coding knowledge or training
- Possesses limited capabilities
- Allows anyone to self-service app development for their own needs
- Buries IT in technical debt via rogue apps created outside compliance
Not all low-code solutions are created equal
For all its benefits, there are risks involved with low code. These risks arise when business users independently seek low-code solutions to suit their needs without IT approval – creating issues with shadow IT. This can be easily avoided if enterprise IT is sponsoring low-code initiatives and has established a company-wide low-code program for success. With the right governance and oversight structure in place, the opportunity low code provides is unlimited.
Frequently Asked Questions about low-code development
It must be easy to use and allow for quick delivery of value – but those aren’t the only important factors to consider. You’ll also want to look for automation capabilities to help you truly transform processes with less manual work. And most importantly, consider the platform’s ability to scale as you grow and evolve with your changing business needs.
There is a common misconception that low code can only deliver simple apps. While this is often a good place to start, you can really build anything with the right low-code platform. Applications can start at a departmental level, then grow in complexity to ultimately automate and manage a vast array of business needs.
A low-code application is just as secure as your other apps, but choosing the right platform and making sure IT is involved in implementing is essential. When employees turn to disparate, unapproved, or unmonitored low-code solutions, they run the risk of building apps outside company compliance. With the right platform and approach, IT can set guardrails and parameters in advance, ensuring all apps are built securely.
This software approach makes application development simpler. Capabilities like drag-and-drop objects, process flows, and visual tools allow anyone – regardless of technical ability – to build and change applications faster. Low code makes it possible for organizations to quickly deliver new processes and app functionalities to keep up with, or disrupt, their markets.
Very! IT can create custom templates for use and reuse for all users. And branding can be fully configurable to ensure everyone stays within company guidelines. Reuse enhances app development productivity and consistency, and ultimately helps you meet the demanding expectations of your end users.