Vermont Office of Professional Regulation: Creating a 100% online, Next Generation Licensing Platform
Replaced legacy, off-the-shelf solution that was too difficult and costly to adapt and enhance as needed
Created a platform that automates and streamlines all OPR licensing processes: administration, renewals, compliance, and enforcement
Completely transformed the way the OPR works, expediting the licensing approval process and enabling rapid changes and updates
“Pega has helped us achieve our goal of creating a state licensing system that delivers unprecedented service to the citizens of Vermont while driving productivity gains and process improvement.”
The Business Issue
The Vermont Office of Professional Regulation (OPR) supports and administers 60,000 licenses each year, including over 200 license types, for 50 different professions in the State of Vermont, ranging from architects to physicians to tattoo artists.
For nearly ten years, the OPR used an off-the-shelf application to manage their licensing and enforcement activities. But the accelerating pace of regulatory change and the growth in new licensing responsibilities, together with the cost and difficulty of adapting the hard-coded, legacy application, made it nearly impossible for OPR to keep up.
The OPR realized they needed a new, modern, cloud-based platform they could easily adapt to their changing business environment. After extensive research and evaluation, the OPR determined that Pega Cloud, powered by AWS, was the only product that would meet their needs.
Now with its processes 100% online, the OPR has successfully designed and implemented its Next Generation Licensing Platform (NGLP), which has automated and streamlined the full spectrum of OPR workflows, from license administration and renewals to regulatory compliance and enforcement. The OPR also has insight into metrics and data they didn’t previously.
- 13,000 applicants for notary public licenses onboarded and processed in just six weeks.
- 3,000 nurses licensed with an average of turnaround time of 45 minutes per license.
- Advanced self-service and case management capabilities expedite the licensing and approval process.
- An improved central database gives employees visibility into historical context and status of licensed professionals to ensure that licensees are providing the best service.
- Changes, updates, and enhancements can be easily made to the application as needed, whether for regulatory or operational reasons.
All text sourced directly from Governments Building for Change.
Read the full article on Vermont OPR in this report.
Legacy systems are not your problem. It's time to rethink legacy modernization in government.
There’s no one-size fits all for government legacy modernization. That is why leaders across the globe are using Pega Government Platform.
Enhancing the Professional Licensing and Certification Process