Shared Services Connected optimizes processes, increases visibility with workflow automation
Reduced time spent on manual tasks by tens of thousands of hours per year
Simplified rule set to automatically acknowledge 70% of receipts on day one
Gave agents end-to-end visibility of all customers
“Using Pega's ability to provide experts with developmental guardrails, we have put the power of evolving and improving the auto matching to 80% by day 12. That's 12 days to improve by 10%. That is crushing complexity.”
The Business Issue
Shared Services Connected Ltd. (SSCL), established as a joint venture between the U.K. Cabinet Office and Sopra Steria Limited, manages more than 23 government departments across the country. Each department is home to several bodies; for example, the Ministry of Justice, which has at least 10 bodies catering to staff – from prison guards to office workers, all with their own diverse needs.
SSCL had previously deployed SSCL Service+, built on Pega Customer Service™ technology. The service provides a streamlined process for tracking, managing, and resolving workplace queries while delivering end-to-end visibility of work across multiple channels. However, the agency needed to further streamline processes to improve efficiency and better serve employees.
Working with delivery experts, SSCL built a receipting platform that enables true end-to-end case management for all workplace receipts. Using Pega Robotic Process Automation, SSCL extracts data from other sources and ingests it into Service+. The organization then roots, allocates, and prioritizes cases based on customer needs.
SSCL also used Service+ to improve two existing processes:
- Order to cash: SSCL’s order-to-cash function processes a variety of transactions – from fishing rod licenses to petty cash in prisons. It transacts over 360,000 receipts manually each year while adhering to strict SLAs. Using Pega's CRM platform, SSCL built a more user-friendly interface, ensuring that all necessary information is accessible in one place.
- Overpayments: SSCL teams had been manually processing an average of 1,700 overpayment cases to employees each month. SSCL used Pega to create end-to-end automation that calculates overpayments, submits the overpayment to employees, and records them on a balance sheet. Early deployment of the project demonstrated 1,000 cases calculated in a single day. Manual calculation of these cases would have required over 200 people, enabling SSCL to reduce the time taken to send letters to employees from an average of six weeks to a matter of days.
Building on Service+, SSCL successfully:
- Simplified a complex rule-matching engine into a simplified set of rules, which automatically acknowledged 70% of receipts from day one
- Launched an end-to-end receipting platform where the order-to-cash team can perform all duties
- Enabled teams to reduce time spent on manual activities by tens of thousands of hours per year
- Launched an overpayments platform, ensuring a consistent picture across all areas and escalation of problem cases
- Reduced the time taken to notify employees of overpayments from six weeks down to a few days
- Gave SSCL contact center agents, HR, and finance teams full visibility of all customers, including any repayment plans, communications, and negotiations