Sainsbury's streamlines customer complaints and enquiries across multiple brands
Delivered a single 360-degree view of customer complaints and enquiries
Resolves 2M cases annually with an omni-channel strategy
Recovers £5M annually on food quality complaints cost
"Before the implementation, there was no system that gave a 360 view of the customer's journey, that allowed us to capture customer experience, and the ability to resolve complaints and enquiries in one system. With Pega Customer Service, we streamlined our customer complaint and enquiry process across multiple Sainsbury’s brands."
The Business Issue
With today's consumers more accustomed than ever to fast, convenient service, retailers of every kind must adapt. That's why Sainsbury's, the UK's favorite supermarket, embarked on a journey to reimagine its customer experience.
The company's customer service team needed a holistic view of customer information and interactions across stores and contact centers. Standing in the way of these goals were disconnected systems and processes. Customer service agents spent valuable time and effort toggling through different systems and clicking through multiple screens to solve one complaint. In addition, agents had an incomplete view of a customer's contextual and historical information, such as order and complaint history across channels and product lines.
Sainsbury's knew it needed a single solution capable of recording and tracking customer complaints across its 1,400 retail locations and contact centers – to ensure those complaints were resolved quickly, efficiently, and consistently regardless of channel.
Success for Sainsbury's meant empowering its customer service agents to capture every customer's intent and resolve their concerns in real time.
Built on Pega Customer Service™, Sainsbury's implemented a solution that performs case management and provides a 360-degree view of every customer. Agents can now see critical information, including any earlier queries made by the customer, how many gestures of good will they've been given, and more.
The new solution:
- Offers a complete, 360-degree view of customer journeys
- Spans Sainsbury's more than 1,400 locations and contact centers
- Enables customer service agents to engage with customers regardless of channel – delivering a truly omni-channel experience
- Offers an in-store staff portal so that agents in physical locations can provide the same consistent experience as contact center agents
- Powered by Pega Cloud®, enabling continuous innovation
Before, Sainsbury's contact center agents relied on customer response templates housed in Word docs that they needed to search through manually. Now, Pega guides agents through customer interactions with an intuitive user interface (UI), where they can select the customer issue type from dropdown values and automatically receive an appropriate response based on the issue's category and subcategory.
In addition, Sainsbury's used Pega to implement its all-important Food Cost Recovery function. When a product suffers quality issues, Sainsbury's can capture and categorize the data required to find which suppliers are at fault, enabling the company to recuperate its lost revenue.
Sainsbury's has now moved on to use Pega to support customer service operations for their brand Argos, building on its multi-brand, multichannel strategy.
With its new solution in Pega, Sainsbury's now has the following:
- A holistic view of every customer, including query and order history – across all channels and product lines
- Improved omni-channel customer interaction, which amounts to approximately 2 million cases annually
- Improved capture of complaints and refunds, enabling comprehensive and accurate recharging to suppliers, resulting in approximately £5 million in cost recovery annually
- Freed more than 40,000 full-time employee hours annually through workflow automation
- Reduced maintenance and support costs by 45%