Energy Safe Victoria migrates to the cloud for greater speed and agility
Improved turnaround times for gas supply approvals and electrical certifications
Eliminates manual security and patching tasks so employees can focus on mission-critical work
Ensures reliable system performance, even during periods of high demand
“Now, I don’t need someone to manage our ESV environment. It’s managed by Pega … Since we moved to the cloud, security patching is automatic. Pega is responsible for making sure the system is always secure.”
The Business Issue
As the state’s safety regulator for electricity, gas, and pipelines, Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) knew it could no longer rely on paper-based processes to ensure the safe generation, supply, and use of electricity, gas, and pipelines. In response, ESV launched ESVConnect, an online hub that consolidates all the agency’s application systems onto a single online platform.
But while ESVConnect effectively streamlined critical processes, it began to encounter performance issues as electrical workers flocked to the site to obtain licenses and submit safety certificates. The agency’s reliance on on-premises servers made it difficult to scale and keep up with the workload. ESV needed a solution to address these performance issues and provide a reliable system for its constituents.
ESV chose to migrate ESVConnect from its on-premises servers to Pega Cloud® for greater speed and enhanced performance.
Today, ESVConnect features services including:
- MyESV, which licenses Victoria’s electrical workers, as well as issues and audits Certificates of Electrical Safety (COES) for completed work.
- GasTrac, which manages installation applications online. With GasTrac, users can electronically submit information on complex gas installations, check the status of active applications, and submit exemption applications.
Migrating ESVConnect to the cloud has delivered significant benefits, including:
- Automatic scalability: ESV’s ability to respond to fluctuations in demand ensures reliable and consistent system performance even during peak workloads.
- Increased speed: The agency is now accepting and issuing gas supply approvals through GasTrac, in turn providing a better online experience for constituents.
- Enhanced reliability and security: With Pega now managing system security and patching, ESV employees are free to focus on more mission-critical activities, such as designing and deploying new system features.
- Real-time data and intelligence: ESV’s new system automatically logs information, such as number of users at any given time, how long it takes for users to log in, and processing times for certificates – data that is now being leveraged for system improvements and an enhanced user experience.
Read the full Energy Safe Victoria article in Governments Building for Change.
All text sourced directly from Governments Building for Change.