BECU projects to save 10,000 hours of employee time with Pega
Improved customer service as part of its digital transformation initiative
Consolidated multiple CRM systems into one using Pega
Improved employee and member experience
"We started with something small, a minimum viable product, and we've been able to just add to it. And now, three years later, 80% of our users surveyed say that this system is easy to use. That's pretty amazing for newer software."
The Business Issue
Founded in 1935, BECU (Boeing Employees’ Credit Union) was established to serve the employees of The Boeing Company. It has since expanded its membership to all residents of the state of Washington and additional counties in Oregon and Idaho. The credit union now serves more than 1.2 million members, making it the largest credit union in Washington and the fourth largest in the United States. BECU is inspired by its purpose of bringing people together to improve the financial well-being of its members and their communities.
In 2020, BECU embarked on a journey to improve the employee experience and accelerate customer service outcomes. This initiative meant replacing two technology systems, consolidating them into one powerful solution supported by the right technology.
- Gateway Member Service Platform grants employees the ability to see all of the accounts and services that a member has with BECU in one dashboard. It integrates with other systems that hold member data, giving employees a single view of the entire member relationship rather than having to log into multiple systems.
- Lead management process allows leads to move seamlessly from a generalist employee who fields the initial inquiry to a specialist employee with the expertise to address that lead specifically. This automated process passes leads to the appropriate teams using Pega sales work baskets. This allows BECU to ensure that members are getting the follow-up they need and deserve from an employee who knows how to solve their problems.
- Gateway complaint management process gives employees the ability to enter a compliance-related complaint and trigger the appropriate follow-up. This also generates consolidated reporting that BECU can use to report to regulating authorities.
- Screen pop for contact center auto-populates a member's profile when they call from a known number, ultimately saving employee time and effort by eliminating the need for manual entry.
The institution also embedded Pega Customer Service into its messaging system. So when an employee is speaking with a member, they can instantly see the member's entire profile in a single, centralized view.
BECU has already seen the following results:
- Improved average handle time (AHT) in its contact center
- 10,000 projected hours of employee and member time saved
- 80% of users surveyed say that the new system is easy to use
BECU continues to work toward a truly omni-channel member experience and plans on expanding capabilities for its online and mobile banking.