AI decision-making: Beyond the hype
Real-time AI isn’t just a trend – it’s a way to transform your customer experience. We’ve gathered experts, best practices, and examples to show you how.
“As the technology evolves ... so increases the opportunity for brands to build higher-value relationships with consumers based on relevance and intimacy.”
Artificial intelligence. Real relationships.
True one-to-one customer engagement sounds good in theory, but many marketers aren’t sure how to actually get there. Enter AI. Used wisely, artificial intelligence yields a deeper understanding of customers across different contexts and channels.
AI can read signals and sense your customer’s unique intent – to purchase, to upgrade, even to cancel – before she acts. Powered by real-time data, AI can serve up unique, relevant offers automatically, or guide customer-service reps (CSRs) to make the right offer at the right time. In highly regulated industries, AI can also be an invaluable transparency tool to demonstrate why you are presenting particular offers to specific customers and prove that no unconscious bias is at work.
Treating engagements as a series of one-off, one-time, interactions is setting yourself up for failure.
Transforming one customer journey at a time
Businesses that get their money’s worth from AI investments have one thing in common: They focus on fixing problems that have the greatest impact on customer experience – such as wait times or average handle times – and they act decisively in the moment.
To join them, start by identifying the high-impact, low-effort, less invasive opportunities to transform your brand for optimal customer engagement. For example, you could:
- Reduce customer churn through real-time offers that meet individual needs
- Present more relevant promotions to unique customers instead of by segment
- Use natural language processing, intent signals, and predictive analytics to help CSRs get to next best actions fast
- Predict which accounts are most likely to influence and buy, allowing sales teams to focus their efforts
Building powerful, yet transparent omni-channel AI
AI has the potential to significantly improve the way your organization works, from decision-making to culture to bottom-line benefits. But don’t make the mistake of only applying AI in a few customer use cases, feeding it with data once a week and locking it away from the rest of the company.
The most compelling success stories come from organizations where AI is fueled by real-time data, delivered across all customer channels, and flexible enough to become more transparent when the situation demands. Getting there means combining several different AI capabilities, including:
- Machine learning algorithms that allow customers see the best contextual offers – and improve in real time
- Predictive analytics, which pulls information from existing data sets to see patterns and predict outcomes
- Business rules technology, which ensures the right offers are prioritized, regulations followed, and customers respected
- Drag-and-drop visual tools, so businesspeople can easily connect big data and machine learning algorithms to their decision strategies
Optimizing AI for maximum benefit requires an approach that balances safety with effectiveness through judicious control.
"Adopting a technology like Pega that provides clear, auditable insights into the decision-making process can help unlock the tremendous value on offer.”
Explore Pega products powered by AI
Pega Customer Decision Hub
Real AI. Real results. In real time. Upgrade every customer interaction.
Marketing powered by AI and Next Best Action.
Pega Sales Automation
Give sellers the insights they need to be more effective.
Pega Customer Service
Guided service across assisted and digital channels.
When it comes to AI – ethics matter. Learn to grow responsibly with this special white paper.