Pega Delivers Record Cash Flow in the First Half of 2023
- Operating cash flow exceeds $110 million (Free Cash Flow exceeds $120 million)
- Annual contract value (ACV) grows 13% year over year
- Pega Cloud gross margin expands to 73%
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — July 26, 2023 — Pegasystems Inc., the low-code platform provider empowering the world’s leading enterprises to Build for Change®, released its financial results for the second quarter of 2023.
“In this uncertain and changing environment, focusing on client success is more important than ever,” said Alan Trefler, founder and CEO. “Our low-code platform for AI-powered decisioning and workflow automation uniquely empowers clients to embrace emerging trends like generative AI and, at the same time, reduce costs and improve customer engagement.“
“Achieving record cash flow in the first half of 2023 reflects solid execution by our team to better balance growth and free cash flow,” said Ken Stillwell, COO & CFO. “This significant shift in cash flow generation is a benefit of our successful move to a subscription model. In the second half of 2023, we will be looking to further increase operating effectiveness with additional improvements in our go-to-market alignment.”
Financial and performance metrics (1)
1 Refer to the schedules at the end of this release for additional information, including a reconciliation of our GAAP to non-GAAP measures.
Quarterly conference call
A conference call and audio-only webcast will be conducted the following day at 8:00 a.m. EDT on Thursday, July 27, 2023.
Members of the public and investors are invited to join the call and participate in the question and answer session by dialing 1-877-407-9039 (domestic), 1-201-689-8470 (international), or via webcast (https://viavid.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1622243&tp_key=962bdef8e2) by logging onto www.pega.com at least five minutes prior to the event's broadcast and clicking on the webcast icon in the Investors section.
Discussion of non-GAAP financial measures
Our non-GAAP financial measures should only be read in conjunction with our consolidated financial statements prepared in accordance with GAAP. We believe these measures help investors understand our core operating results without the effect of often one-time charges and other items outside normal operations. They are not a substitute for financial measures prepared under U.S. GAAP.
Refer to the schedules at the end of this release for additional information, including a reconciliation of our GAAP to non-GAAP measures.
Certain statements in this press release may be "forward-looking statements” as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.
Words such as expects, anticipates, intends, plans, believes, will, could, should, estimates, may, targets, strategies, intends to, projects, forecasts, guidance, likely, and usually or variations of such words and other similar expressions identify forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date the statement was made and are based on current expectations and assumptions.
Forward-looking statements deal with future events and are subject to risks and uncertainties that are difficult to predict, including, but not limited to:
- our future financial performance and business plans;
- the adequacy of our liquidity and capital resources;
- the continued payment of our quarterly dividends;
- the timing of revenue recognition;
- management of our transition to a more subscription-based business model;
- variation in demand for our products and services, including among clients in the public sector;
- reliance on key personnel;
- global economic and political conditions and uncertainty, including impacts from public health emergencies and the war in Ukraine;
- reliance on third-party service providers, including hosting providers;
- compliance with our debt obligations and covenants;
- the potential impact of our convertible senior notes and Capped Call Transactions;
- foreign currency exchange rates;
- the potential legal and financial liabilities and damage to our reputation due to cyber-attacks;
- security breaches and security flaws;
- our ability to protect our intellectual property rights, costs associated with defending such rights, intellectual property rights claims, and other related claims by third parties against us, including related costs, damages, and other relief that may be granted against us;
- our ongoing litigation with Appian Corp.;
- our client retention rate; and
- management of our growth.
These risks and others that may cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in such forward-looking statements are described further in Part I of our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2022, and other filings we make with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”).
Investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements, and there are no assurances that the results included in such statements will be achieved. Although subsequent events may cause our view to change, except as required by applicable law, we do not undertake and expressly disclaim any obligation to publicly update or revise these forward-looking statements whether as the result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Any forward-looking statements in this presentation represent our views as of July 26, 2023.
VP, Corporate Communications
Director, Corporate Communications
Sr. Manager, Public Relations
Director, Corporate Communications
+44 (0) 118 9651 660
PR & Communications Manager
+44 (0) 118 9398 584