Nationwide Building Society shortens dispute resolution time by 86%
Cut the average time for dispute resolution from 15 days to 2 days
Implemented Pega Smart Dispute™, simplifying operations in the process
Reduced processing times for Visa payment disputes
"We have now successfully completed thousands of consumer dispute claims and have finally been able to retire our aging legacy forms system. Front line colleagues are able to consistently deliver an excellent experience to our members in a simple and straightforward manner that is also hassle free for colleagues in operational areas."
The Business Issue
Nationwide Building Society is committed to spending its members’ money wisely and investing in modern technology to deliver the best possible experience. At 16 million members, it’s the largest building society in the world.
Following the outbreak of Covid-19, Nationwide experienced an unprecedented surge in Visa card disputes. The organization knew it needed to pivot quickly to handle this increase and sought a long-term solution that would enhance their ability to process Visa payment disputes via online channels and manage future spikes in demand.
Nationwide saw several challenges as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic:
- Contact Centres saw a 60% increase in dispute cases
- Branch staff saw a 251% increase in disputes being raised
- On a single day during the pandemic’s peak, branch staff serviced 289 disputes, compared to an average of 60 pre-pandemic
Nationwide migrated its Visa disputes processing from a previous solution to Pega Smart Dispute™. The new solution is built to last and will be able to meet forecasted growth in disputes as well as any sudden spikes in demand.
Nationwide’s use of Pega Smart Dispute has enabled benefits in several areas:
- Member experience is improved, with cases handled at point of contact. That means fewer handoffs, reduced requests for information, and proactive communication as cases progress – leading to a more unified experience and fewer complaints.
- Employee experience is improved. The pre-Pega dispute processing workflow could include multiple different systems with a significant amount of post-call work, which is now mitigated.
- Operations are simplified with employees able to use a single system to capture and manage disputes with reduced after-call activity. As a result, it has become easier to manage demand in surges, providing members with far better value for money.
The Partner Impact
For the implementation, Nationwide turned to its long-standing strategic partner, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS). Leveraging its deep contextual knowledge of Nationwide’s payments business, and its technology expertise, TCS, a Global Elite Pega Partner, helped customize and deploy the Smart Dispute solution.
Nationwide plans to continue using Pega and collaborating with TCS to improve member experience and roll out the payment disputes capability to other business units in the coming months.
With its new solution in Pega, Nationwide is providing a consistent, improved member experience across Visa debit card disputes. In addition, the organization is well poised to rapidly take on board the compliance changes that Visa instates every six months, eliminating the associated risk and extra work they were used to.
Nationwide has already seen the following results:
- 15% reduction in processing times for Visa payment disputes
- The number of systems required to process a dispute was reduced from 15 to 2
- The average time to resolve disputes has shortened from 15 days to 2 days
- Member satisfaction has increased
See how Pega manages disputes and fraud to give customers stellar service, simplified.
Simplify banking’s most complex processes and satisfy customers.
HSBC streamlines its payments investigations operations with Pega.