IP Australia: Transforming operations and customer service
Increased volume of transactions while maintaining quality assurance
Migrated complex cases from existing systems and manual processes
Created an agile environment where change can be effected easily and quickly
“We knew that the agility and flexibility of Pega would allow us to meet the demands of our customers moving into the future.”
The Business Issue
Intellectual Property (IP) Australia processes approximately 850,000 customer service interactions each year, including approximately 160,000 new applications for IP rights, with nearly AUD$210 million worth of revenue coming in through the organization.
To handle increased demand and transform the way Australians interact with IP Australia, the agency embarked on a digital transformation of its design administration and examination processes.
With Pega, IP Australia has transformed its case management technology from multiple legacy systems into one application to help it assess IP Rights applications faster. Essential to the transformation was the creation of an agile development environment.
The deployment included the migration of approximately 17.5 million data records, an upgrade of front-end processing components, and the full replacement of the internal designs management system. The agency also deployed Pega Robotic Process Automation to streamline processes.
- Improved online transactions from 12% to 99.6%
- Moving from legacy systems to a single dynamic platform has allowed IP Australia to decommission 35 systems and reduce the cost of ICT by $1.4 million each year in annual licensing costs.
- Within the new, agile development environment, changes can be made and issues resolved in almost real-time.
- Previously, the agency could take approximately six months to roll out new functionality or respond to legislative changes.
- Over the life of the new system, Australia will realize benefits of $87 million dollars.
- Using Pega Robotic Automation to automate data entry tasks
Read the full IP Australia article in Governments Building for Change.
All text sourced directly from Governments Building for Change.
Learn how U.S. Census Bureau reduces complexity and significantly increases savings.
Learn how the Queensland Department of Education implemented a modern customer complaint system in just four months.
Did you know legacy systems are not your problem? Learn about outcome-driven modernization here.